A kids’ party table isn’t complete without a plate of cupcakes and Halloween is no exception. Here are 3 chocolate cupcake creations perfect for a Halloween party.
1. for toddlers: chocolate owl cupcakes
I’ve made these Chocolate Owl cupcakes every year since my kids were babies and they always go down a (trick or) treat.
- Put the icing into a piping bag and attach a small nozzle. Pipe icing spikes/peaks all over the cupcake for the Owl’s feathers.
- Next, separate your Oreos by putting each one in the microwave for approx 8-10 seconds. Any less and they won’t separate, any more and they’ll melt. Get an extra pack cover breakages/melt-ages/eat-ages! Once you have enough iced Oreo halves, place two on each cupcake. Add brown smarties for pupils.
- Take the non-iced halves and cut them in half to make owl ears. Place above the eyes and pipe chocolate icing over them.
- Add yellow smarties for the beaks.
2. for bigger kids: chocolate werewolf cupcakes
- To make the ears lie marshmallows on their side and cut off each corner. Stick on cupcake using chocolate icing.
- For the mouth cut a V shaped notch at the top of each marshmallow and stick on with frosting.
- Cut your fruit strip to fit the mouth. Stick on with vanilla frosting.
- Get an icing bag and cut a small (1/8 inch) ‘M’ cut in the bottom by cutting two V’s. Pipe lines of chocolate icing until the ears are covered.
- For the fur, pipe peaks in concentric circles.
- Pipe fangs using a small nozzle around the edge of the fruit strip and vanilla icing
- Add red, yellow or green M&M’s for the eyes and a brown for the snout.
3. for all kids: chocolate creepy crawly cakes
Making these bug cupcakes with your kids is the perfect half term Halloween activity
- Ice cupcakes with vanilla frosting.
- Arrange sweets to make different insect bodies and heads
- Use the writing icing to add legs and antennae to the candy bodies.