I’ve confessed to my party monster mum tendencies here before, but it’s at this time of year that I really start my hostess metamorphosis. From October until Christmas you’ll find me wearing a layer of congealed icing in my hair and a harrassed expression as I try out various party recipes for the holiday season – starting with our now-epic annual kids Halloween party.
I’m always looking for cute and creepy cookie and cake inspiration for our party proceedings so I was delighted when my good friend, baker extraordinaire Juliet Sear – who is well-known for both her baking books and the incredible cakes she makes for celebrities on This Morning – brought out a book earlier this year based on the new trend for Kawaii Cakes. Kawaii is a Japanese word that means cute, lovable and adorable and she has created so many clever ideas for cute cookies, cakes and treats that both kids (and big kids!) will adore.
It was her design I copied when making my 6 year old’s birthday cake for her Unicorn party and I loved making these easy Halloween chocolate cookies too. These kooky-not-spooky showstoppers are relatively easy, but my tip is to choose one recipe and do it well. (Oh and if you’re having a big party to ask the rest of the guests to bring a dish too!)
stuff you’ll need
- 1 batch of Juliet’s ready-baked Chocolate cookies from Kawaii Cakes, shaped with cutters or her templates at the end of the book. Alternatively, you could use my vanilla biscuit recipe and icing tips.
- a little soft-peak Royal icing in colours of your choice, in piping bags fitted with number 2 round nozzles for flooding.
- 900g runny Royal icing in matching colours, for outline.
- black edible fine-tip food pen for face details.
- pnk edible dusting powder for cheeks.
3 more celebrity inspired books to help you through the holiday season in style
Celebs LOVE to share their tips on how to live super-stylish lives like theirs and never more so than holiday season, when publishers release a slew of celebratory inspired lifestyle books. Here are 3 new releases out this month all with stylish party angles… buy them and all you’ll be missing is their squillions… and their staff!
1. the hollywood star
2. the youtube vlogger
3. the supermodel